Some of the earliest bras I made are beginning to look pretty worn and even those that look okay have started to hurt a bit as the underwire channels have worn down. So, it was time for me to make a new set of underwear. I have had this flowery lycra forever but now I ordered some matching pink fabric to go with it to calm down the busy print. I took my trusted DL04 pattern by MakeBra and made a pretty pink summer bra!
This time I decided to try to make a smooth-edged bra without any fold-over-elastic or other binding. I have used this technique with pre-formed bra-cups and I figured that it should work with cut-and-sew foam as well. I added just a few mm extra to the top of the cup lining but this might have not been necessary as my top fabric was very stretchy. Then, I sewed the top fabric to the wrong side of the foam cup and then flipped it over to make the smooth cup edge.
The cup side was a bit tricky but finally I just folded it up and finished the edge by hand. It really didn’t take long to sew up these short seams!
Bows, flowers, and other embellishments are a good way to hide those unsightly spots where I have added heavy stitching to fasten the shoulder straps and to close the underwire channels. I found this ribbon rose in my storage and then made two tiny bows with the help of a fork. I finished the ribbon ends with fray-stop to keep them looking neat.
And of course, I had to make a few pairs of panties to match my summer bra with the same pattern I always use: Acacia underwear by Megan Nielsen.
One more pic of my pretty little underwear set:
I think this set turned out great and I have already worn it a lot. Thank you for reading and come back soon! Happy sewing!
P.S. Do consider subscribing so that you don’t miss any future posts!