I made matching t-shirts for my son and my husband. Also a lot of chat about our recent road trip to Lappland, featuring reindeer!
I sewed and tested an Edwardian bathing costume and made a video out of it.
I made an Edwardian outfit with a skirt and a matching bolero jackeet out of blue linen for the summer.
I made this jacket using an original 1901 summer jacket pattern from the June issue of the Finnish Käsitöitä magazine that I found at the National Library.
I re-upholstered an old press buck base. With sawdust and wool filling and a new velveteen cover it now looks like new!
I made a chemise following drafting instructions from a Finnish 1892 book called Tyttöjen käsitöiden johtamisen ohjeita kansakouluja varten.
I made turn of the 20th century drawers using a Finnish pattern from 1892. For sewing, I used my hand-crank Singer 12 from the year 1877.
I made quilted potholders using a technique my grandmother taught me when I was a child. I also made a matching oven mitt to go with them.
Inspired by the old fortifications scattered out the area where I live, I created a WW1-era blouse using the Elsie pattern by Wearing History.
A fan skirt or an umbrella skirt was fashionable during the 1890s. It was pretty simple in shape: the front was a simple A-line skirt and the back had this half-a-circle shape and pleats that gave it volume. I wanted a long skirt to go with my shirtwaists that would not be too hot during the warmer months and I chose this fan skirt pattern by Black Snail Patterns. This post contains affiliate links. Fabric considerations I wanted my skirt to be cotton and had some problems in choosing the right kind. Cotton lawn would probably have been too lightweight and the cotton sateen sold in the closest fabric shop…