My new Edwardian inspired outfit consists of a Truly Victorian Edwardian walking skirt and a lacy shirtwaist Beatrix blouse by Sensibility patterns.
I am making an Edwardian style Beatrix shirtwaist with pintucks and lace insertion. Read how I design and make the details and adjustments to this pattern.
I tried making the Shirtwaist dress from the Gertie's New Book of Better Sewing without making a toile. This taught me a lesson! The fit was not so good...
I got this fabric from Artenio at the same time with the mustard yellow one for this Amelia dress. It took me quite some time to decide on the pattern. I did not have a lot of fabric so many dresses with their circle skirts were unfortunately out of question. Finally, I decided to make the 1940s tea dress by Sew Over It.
I made a beautiful Sew Over It Penny dress out of viscose crepe. The fabric was very difficult to work with but the result is one of my favourite makes this year.
My blouse sewing continues with the Elise blouse by Rosie and Me. This is a new pattern company for me, although I have been eyeing this blouse for a while. This pattern has cap sleeve and 3/4 sleeve options, French darts at the sides and a nice shawl collar.
I made a vintage style floral dress out of mustard viscose I got from Artenio. The pattern is the Amelia Tea Dress by Simple Sew patterns but I modified the pattern by replacing the flutter sleeves with long ones.
I sewed these retro jackets about 8 years ago for my son and my daughter wore them after him. I made the both jackets with matching caps out of old tablecloths I found from flea markets. What I love about this kind of retro projects is the pattern matching. The big patterns from the 60s and the 70s are both a challenge and an inspiration. The look of the garment changes completely by placing the pattern pieces on the fabric in a different way. The pattern for these jackets came from vintage Elsebeth Gynther’s pattern book called Ompele Lapselle (translated from a Danish book: Börnetöj du selv kan sy). I…
Immediately after seeing the Simplicity 1587 pattern I fell in love with the bodice. After I made the dress I started wondering if I could turn the pattern into a blouse. I used a well-fitting blouse pattern as a guide to draw a pattern for the lower half of the blouse and used yellow viscose fabric.
The schools have started and that means it is officially autumn here in Finland. I have been looking for a perfect dress pattern for the dress I have held in my imagination but for vain. In my mind, I had an image of a floral dress with a gathered skirt and a fitted bodice, long sleeves and a peter pan collar. I found this amazing floral viscose fabric from the factory remnant section of Eurokangas. Finally I decided to use the patterns I already owned. Cami dress by Pauline Alice (my version is here) has a perfect bodice and the Rosie dress by Sew Over It a perfect skirt for…