A wool coat for winter, part 4: Smooth seams and warmth
In my wool coat project, it's time to properly press the seams I had already sewn. I also proceeded to make the coat underlining layers to keep me warm. The coat is finally taking shape!
A wool coat for winter, part 3: Cutting and interfacing
My winter wool coat project is slowly progressing. This time I cut the fabric and add some very important interfacings to support the coat fronts.
A wool coat for winter, part 2: Toile
I did not even dream of making this V8346 coat without a toile. I may take risks with cheaper garments but this wool was way too expensive for me to skip this crucial step.
A wool coat for winter, part 1: Planning
My big project for this autumn will be a long and warm winter coat. For a project this size, it is a good idea to start with the planning.
Ruffled wool coat or/eli Röyhelötakki SK 03-2013 12.
I sewed a ruffled wool coat for my daughter and lined it with thick quilted and wadded fabric. The pattern was from the Finnish magazine Suuri Käsityö.
Ottobre design 06-2012 40. Klassikko Duffle coat
I made Ottobre design 06-2012 40. Klassikko duffle coat for my son. This project was not an easy make but both me and my son are happy with the result.
Trench coat project part 6: The finished trench coat
… so here is the latter half of today’s posting, go here, if you missed the first part and here, if you want to start the series from the beginning. Hooray! My trench coat is finally finished! This has been a long journey that I started already in April, when I wrote about my coat plans. At that point I hadn’t found my pattern, yet and hadn’t met my wonderful, wonderful sewing teacher Michelle, who helped me tremendously along the way. Then I managed to find the McCall’s 5525 coat sewing pattern on Ebay and started drafting a coat. I used the pattern only as a starting point since I…
Trench coat project part 5
The previous parts in my trench coat series can be found: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 And… I know I promised to show the coat the next time I posted. However, this post became too long and I split it in two parts. No worries, though, I will post them both at the same time and you can read them both! Hemming the coat I used the wonderful book of Roberta Carr, Couture – the art of fine sewing, to instruct me on how to make a good hem. To be honest, this is the most work I’ve ever done with hemming. At first bias strips about 6…
The trench coat project part 4: Gorgeous details and lining
The previous posts about this trench coat project: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Belt carriers, sleeve bands and the belt I had my belt and sleeve band buckles ready, so I adjusted the belt (I include now the sleeve bands with the word ‘belts’) widths to suit the buckles. I added some extra length to the sleeve bands since the original ones were meant to be buttoned up. With the belt, I decided to use the whole width of my gabardine and cut the belt on fold. I also made the belt end pointed. The belts and the sleeve bands needed to be interfaced. I interfaced the belts using…
Trench coat project part 3: The Coat is taking shape
Finally the trench coat is taking shape! The previous posts in the series: Part 1 Part 2 top-stitching Most of the seams in my trench coat have top stitching. My Bernina has previously had trouble with top stitching thread, so I used two treads that I treaded through the machine like a single thread, except having two different spools. I still noticed that I needed a sharp Microtex needle and a well oiled machine to get a neat result. Pockets I mentioned the pockets last time but I never showed how they looked from the right side. I ditched the idea of the original pockets since they were too small…