Sewing

Red and black sport outfit

By kk-
red-and-black-sport-outfit

It’s been a while since I made something for my son. Yesterday K mentioned needing some nice shorts for his PE class. I immediately saw my chance and dug up all my stretchy fabrics for him to choose the best fabrics and colours.

Ottobre 3/2010 had nice patterns for both Marley shorts and Riff t-shirt. I liked the little dash of colour at the pocket edges and the length of the shorts that would protect my son’s knees. The original t-shirt pattern had a cool guitar applique design but I wanted just a basic pattern with nothing extra.

kaarlon_jumppa-asu

I had about the same amount of red and black jersey, so I decided to make a red tee with black trims and black shorts with red trims. I left the back pockets out but to do something extra, I made red buttonholes and added a little red stitching to finish up the ends of the waist ribbon. As a little note to myself: I shaved some extra 5 mm off each of the side seams due to some ugly serger seaming that I was too lazy to rip out.

I don’t really have much to say about the t-shirt, except that I encountered a problem I’ve never had before. For some reason the threads in the serged seam got frequently stuck in the teeth of my sewing machine when doing the top stitching. I had to rip out the first attempt and put some paper towels between the seam and the sewing machine teeth to stop the teeth grabbing my project. I have used paper towels when sewing faux leather or polyurethane coated rain coat fabric but never before with basic jersey.

Kaarlon_jumppa-asu3 - 1

K likes his new outfit and I bribed him with ice-cream to pose outside. As you can see, most of the snow is now gone but it was still only 4 degrees Celcius (39 degr. F) outside. It wasn’t certainly a shorts and t-shirt kind of weather but young boys are ready for some discomfort if the reward is ice-cream!

Leave A Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: