My projects,  Patternreview,  Sewing

I sewed an Edwardian-inspired summer dress

I love mixing historical details with modern construction. When I saw the Sedavi dress pattern by Pauline Alice I bought it immediately as it was everything I could wish for a summer dress. The pleats at the bodice resemble those often seen at Edwardian bodices but the elasticated waist and a zipper make this much easier everyday dress to wear. As much as I love the look of those buttons at the back, they take their time (and flexibility!) to do up.

Here is my video on making the dress with some Cretan holiday views:

About the pattern

The Sedavi dress pattern photo.

Sedavi dress is available both in printed and pdf format. I bought the pdf-pattern as I am too impatient to wait for the delivery, even though assembling 50 pages may be a challenge! It is available in sizes 34 to 52 and I made the size 38. Size 40 would have been mine based on the measurement chart but my shoulders are narrow and the size 38 fit me better at the shoulders. I think I could have added a bit to the waist though but that elastic does give way after a good dinner! I did add more room for the shoulders, though, as this is one adjustment my body requires.

The fabric requirements on the Sedavi pattern said to use 3,6 m of lightweight fabric. I had two big pieces of pink linen that I found in the remnant bin at the local fabric store. (I’m always so happy when I find two pieces as one piece is regularly too small!) Linen is my favorite material for summer dresses. Yes, it wrinkles, but after a few washes the wrinkles get softer and you get used to the slightly wrinkled look of the fabric.

I decided to add huge Victorian pockets to this dress. Who doesn’t love big pockets? In the late 19th century, women knew how to make proper pockets. I didn’t use any pattern. I just drew this pattern so that I wouldn’t have any problems fitting my wallet, phone, and keys into these gigantic pockets.

As my fabric was plain, I felt that the front of the dress needed something extra. I went through some old Käsitöitä-magazines and found this nice apple blossom embroidery pattern. I traced it on my dress and embroidered it using embroidery floss.

And here is the dress from the back.

I really loved the Sedavi dress and I have also made it for my daughter. I think that the bodice part of the dress would also make a very nice blouse! Now I am tempted to remake this dress in white cotton as well as it would look gorgeous in white.

See you later and Happy Sewing!


I am a mother of two. I sew, knit and create and blog about it.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: