with my hands – Dream
  • Named Helmi blouse.
    My projects,  Sewing

    Named Helmi blouse with a hack

    When I made my Named clothing Helmi dress, I decided I needed to make the blouse version as well. The original pattern has some trench coat inspired details but I wanted really to find a good pattern for a loose fitting shirt. For the fabric, I chose this simple black and white stripy viscose fabric. I had written down that the dress I made was a bit tight across the bust. So, for the first time in my life, I made a full bust adjustment. I didn’t want to go up to the next size since the pattern otherwise fitted pretty well. The full bust adjustment made my side seams…

  • Alpi trousers by Named clothing.
    Clothes refashioning,  My projects,  Patternreview,  Sewing

    Alpi trousers and a refashioned blouse à la Indiana Jones

    I managed to grab literally the last Alpi trousers pattern from Named clothing. I was lucky since I had planned on making these trousers for a while. However, don’t bother trying to buy this pattern, at least from Named. Some of their retailers might still have some of these pattern left even though this pattern is fairly old. Anyway, I like the basic look of these trousers. They are quite masculine, pretty loose and have a bit lower waistline than in most of the trousers I have lately made. I got some nice army green cotton sateen in a nice bargain from Materials, Helsinki. The fabric has a tiny bit…

  • Vogue Donna Karan collection V1440 blouse from the front.
    My projects,  Patternreview,  Sewing

    Donna Karan top and floral capris

    For a while ago I bought V1440 pattern from the Donna Karan collection since I thought the white top looked interesting. This collection had also a pair of basic leggings and a jacket. I had some leftover navy blue poplin left after making a shirt for my husband and that was just enough for this blouse. The sizes range from 6 to 14 but again as with most of the big pattern companies there is a ridiculous amount of ease involved. According to the size chart I should have made size 12 but after checking for the actual finished garment measurements I ended up cutting size 6. The size 12…

  • Sew Over It Penny tiefront top with Lizzie skirt.
    My projects,  Patternreview,  Sewing

    Penny for your thoughts

    Sew over it published a new pattern about a week ago. It’s called Penny dress and it is another shirtdress and a gorgeous nod to the 1950s. What I really love is that this dress pattern turns into a blouse pattern with few simple modifications. What is even better, is that the women at Sew over it realised this and made a nice tutorial on how to do just that! As I was still pondering whether to make a dress or a blouse I found this piece of black and white polkadot cotton poplin in my stash. I hadn’t bought enough of it to make it into a dress but…

  • My projects,  Sewing

    Summer Zinnias and Mélilot aka my trusted pattern friends

    I have mentioned that I like the Colette Zinnia skirt pattern very much and that I have made it four times. (Check the two other times here and here.) Thus far, I haven’t had time to take proper images of the two summer ones but here they are at last with a green Mélilot blouse as a bonus! The first Zinnia has been made of slightly stretchy cotton sateen with a very colourful funky print. I didn’t stitch the pleats closed at the hips but otherwise I followed the pattern. Here is the same skirt from the back. A sharp-eyed person may notice that I missed one belt loop when…

  • Cezembre blouse from the front.
    My projects,  Sewing

    Cézembre blouse

    This blouse is something that I have completely forgotten to post here. It is by a French pattern designer Anne Kerdilè and can be found here. I have actually made this blouse twice. At first I made the smallest size but after finishing it I realised that it was just slightly too small at the shoulders. Luckily I had still enough fabric left, so I made a second blouse this time using a bigger size and now the fit is perfect. I like the unusual cut of the blouse. It is hard to see in the pictures, but the back piece is wider than usual and the seams joining the…

  • My projects,  Sewing

    Spring blouse (Lekala 4420)

    I found this wonderful viscose fabric from the remnants section of the local Eurokangas fabric shop. I think that the colour works nicely with the beiges and nudes of my spring wardrobe so I decided to make a blouse of it. I have made Lekala 4420 blouse once before and after going through several other pattern options I decided for it. I made a few modifications. First, I left out the center front seam, then I took a quite a bit out from the width of the sleeves that were a bit too much for my taste and finally I decided to replace the clasp above the keyhole opening with narrow ties.…

  • Colette Zinnia and Sew Over It Pussy Bow Blouse.
    My projects,  Sewing

    My favourite Zinnia and the Pussy Bow blouse

    This time I want to show you two of my favourite self-made garments. I already mentioned previously that I have made several skirts using Colette Zinnia pattern. This is my favourite one for winter – in fact, I’m wearing it right now! I have used this tweed fabric a lot, since it is super comfortable and doesn’t wrinkle easily. It also drapes well, as you can see. To make most of the fabric that I had I made the pleats in the pattern a bit deeper. Then I wanted to add something extra by sewing a black sating piping to the edge of the waistband and attaching a tab at…