Summer Zinnias and Mélilot aka my trusted pattern friends

I have mentioned that I like the Colette Zinnia skirt pattern very much and that I have made it four times. (Check the two other times here and here.) Thus far, I haven’t had time to take proper images of the two summer ones but here they are at last with a green Mélilot blouse as a bonus!

The first Zinnia has been made of slightly stretchy cotton sateen with a very colourful funky print. I didn’t stitch the pleats closed at the hips but otherwise I followed the pattern.

kirjava_zinnia03

Here is the same skirt from the back. A sharp-eyed person may notice that I missed one belt loop when looping the belt around my waist! I’m quite sure that the hem is even, but it seems to be longer in the front because I don’t stand straight.

kirjava_zinnia05

The second Zinnia is this flowery one. Yet again the fabric has been picked from the factory remains section of the local Eurokangas, which means I have no idea what it is made of. It might be some sort of mixture of viscose, polyester and cotton. It seems to take iron pretty well, it looks like twill but is quite drapy and slightly shiny. Anyway, it suits for its purpose.

melilot_ja_zinnia01

Here I stitched the pleats closed at the hip level, but the stitching makes the skirt just a little bit tight so that it tends to form tiny wrinkles at the side seam just below the waist band. Luckily this effect is so small that only the maker’s eye catches it!
melilot_ja_zinnia03

And here is the latter skirt from the back. The stitched pleats actually look great from this angle since they make the pleats look super neat.

melilot_ja_zinnia04

My green Mélilot blouse was made to a pattern from Deer and Doe and it suits well with the flowery Zinnia. As with the Zinnia, I have made this blouse before, here. The fabric is a viscose remnant and the buttons are vintage mother-of-pearl buttons. I love the fit of this blouse, but once in a while I think that I should add a centimetre or so to the length of the sleeves even if they don’t look that short.

melilot_ja_zinnia06

From the back the blouse is super simple. No yokes, no pleats or darts. To compensate the simple lines of the blouse I made the whole blouse with French seams. I think that the French seams are also giving some support to the seams since the fabric is so drapy.

melilot_ja_zinnia05

Don’t forget to subscribe if you like these posts! See you later!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s