“Ronkkaus” – A Finnish folk embroidery stitch
My Finnish national costume from Askola has a shirt with special whitework embroidery called "ronkkaus". So, how is it made?
A French hood in a Finnish folk style
I made a Finnish folk style hand-embroidered French hood for my Askola costume from paper, rye porridge and silk!
A folk-style pocket
I made a Finnish folk-style pocket out of fabric scraps using motifs and stitches common in Finnish folk-costumes.
Kokkola costume, part 2: An apron with drawn thread embroidery
My national costume from Kokkola needed a new apron. This gave me a good chance to learn how to make drawn thread embroidery!
Making an early 19th-century Karelian dress, part 3: Accessories
My Karelian costume needed some period accessories, so I made a pocket, an apron and a linen cap. I also got some silk scarves.
A sleepy fox dress (Burda 8/2018 130)
I made my daughter the cute fox pinafore dress from Burda 8/2018 130. I used orange baby cord, applique and embroidery to create the foxy details.
Hyvää äitienpäivää – Happy Mother’s day
Hyvää äitienpäivää kaikille äideille! Oma äitienpäivälahjani oli tämä ristipistoin kirjailtu pikkupyyhe. Happy Mother's day. My gift for mum was this towel.
Couture explorer: Beading and tambour embroidery
If you have ever looked at haute couture fashion shows, you have seen the breathtaking embroidery designs that combine thread, sequins and beads to create fantastic elaborate designs that decorate evening gowns, collars or perhaps jacket cuffs. In haute couture, those intricated patterns are created by hand. Sometimes whole skirts are full of intricate swirls of both beads and thread. How are those made?
Beaded Tilly and the Buttons Coco sweater
I made the Tilly and the Buttons Coco sweater out of white knit fabric. To make the sweater special I added pearl and gold coloured beading.
The trench coat project part 4: Gorgeous details and lining
The previous posts about this trench coat project: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Belt carriers, sleeve bands and the belt I had my belt and sleeve band buckles ready, so I adjusted the belt (I include now the sleeve bands with the word ‘belts’) widths to suit the buckles. I added some extra length to the sleeve bands since the original ones were meant to be buttoned up. With the belt, I decided to use the whole width of my gabardine and cut the belt on fold. I also made the belt end pointed. The belts and the sleeve bands needed to be interfaced. I interfaced the belts using…