I wanted a wrap blouse to wear with my 1950s A-line skirts. I stumbled across this vintage Advance 7701 pattern on Etsy and bought it.
The pattern was interesting: the kimono sleeved pattern has basically just a single pattern piece (well one for left side and another for the right side) plus the ties and a small collar piece. It is slightly longer at the back and wraps around the waist.
I found this beautiful light pink jersey when digging through the factory remains section of Eurokangas. The fabric is definitely not vintage-like, but I thought it might work just fine. I don’t know the exact composition of the fabric, but I would bet it is mostly viscose. It is super stretchy at least. It seemed to go on and on when I was ironing it and when I wear it, it is so lightweight and stretchy that I don’t even notice it.
I noticed that many people had made this blouse online and some of them hand removed at least some of the darts when using knits. I left the darts there even if I would probably have left them out. I did all the edges except the collar band part using my cover stitch machine even if I had to fight with some skipped stitches. (Me and my cover stitch machine are still new acquaintances.) I left the tying ribbons out. I really did not see any use of adding them since the ties certainly keep the blouse in place.
So this is what I ended up with:
The side view shows the longer back part that is covered with the ties:
The center back seam is cut in the bias and the slight effect of alternating shiny and matte threads of the jersey make a nice effect:
The collar is slightly loose. If I ever sew this blouse again I will cut the neckline piece sides in an angle to avoid the droopiness.
To conclude, my result is certainly not a vintage blouse the modern fabric takes care of that. The pattern however suits for many different fabrics and I will get a lot of wear of this wrap blouse.
Thanks for visiting my blog and if you like these posts, please subscribe!