Edwardian man's outfit.
Affiliates,  My projects,  Sewing,  Tailoring,  Uncategorized

An Edwardian man’s outfit

I started this project already last summer and made the Edwardian linen waistcoat for my husband. However, the summer turned into autumn before I got around to the matching trousers. I put the pattern pieces aside to wait for the spring. Now this May I started going through my pile of unfinished makes and started with these Edwardian trousers. Both patterns come from Black Snail Patterns. The trouser pattern is 1890’s walking trousers and the waistcoat is Collarless waistcoat 1860-1900.

This post contains affiliate links. Clicking the links doesn’t cost you anything but it helps me to maintain this blog.

Making the waistcoat

The waistcoat is a pretty simple garment but the fit if it is very important. To get the fit right I first made three toiles/mockups before I was happy how it fit over the shoulders.

For the main fabric, I chose to use black and white checked cotton-linen blend fabric. It is very breathable and suits well for a summer outfit. For the back, I used some Liberty tana lawn that I had left over from old projects and I made the lining out of scraps of cotton also left over. I don’t know how historical the colour and pattern combination is but I like it anyway.

The pattern had nice instructions, too! I was in a hurry, so I skipped some tailoring steps but I intend to go through them when I have more time. I like tailoring and all the hand-sewn construction details that ensure a well-fitting and crisp outcome.

Making the trousers

Edwardian men’s trousers had a high waist and they needed braces/suspenders to keep them up. I could have chosen suspenders with clips as those were just as historical as buttoned ones but I like the look of button suspenders the best.

This trouser pattern was constructed very differently than any pair I have ever sewed. Luckily the instructions were excellent. The trousers have side pockets but I left out the back pockets that were optional. I’m also very proud of my first ever button fly that came out just perfect even with me not knowing anything about the construction beforehand. Just blindly following instructions worked, though!

This time I did do all the tailoring as it was done historically. That meant lots of hand-sewing and basting but it was worth it!

I already bought fabric to make a suit jacket as well but I think a better fitting shirt might be in order as well.

I couldn’t resist trying on the trousers myself and I was surprised on how good they looked on me. It just might happen that I make a pair for myself, too!

Thank you for reading and see you soon! Happy sewing!


I am a mother of two. I sew, knit and create and blog about it.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: