Sewing

Dreamy nightgown
eli
Unelmien yöpaita

By kk-
nightgown-of-my-dreams

Suomeksi alla…

After I made this nightgown for S, I wanted to have something similar and romantic for myself. I tried to find a suitable pattern but failed. Finally I decided to design my own. I took a raglan sleeved dress as a basis and started pinning things on my dressform. I was inspired by regency gowns and wanted a long gown with an empire waist.

I found lightweight cotton voile with subtle printed white polkadots from the factory remnants section of Eurokangas.. Since it was so thin, I doubled the bodice. I estimated the amount of fabric needed for the gatherings and sewed a large raglan top with a rectangular neckline. I made casings for the elastic around the neckline, the sleeve hems and the empire waist and adjusted the size with the elastic.

The hem is a separate A-line piece that is sewn into the bodice. The bottom ruffle is just a long gathered rectangle. The hem looks floor-length in the pictures but it is a bit shorter in real life. It is just that my feet sink into the mattress I’m standing on.

The nightgown is pretty much what I wanted. What comes to the things that I could improve, I have noticed that the empire waist is a bit too high and it doesn’t stay well in place. If I make a similar nightgown again I will add a bit more ease there.

Empire-waisted cotton nightgown, back view.

Ommeltuani tämän yöpaidan tyttärelleni, halusin itsellenikin samanlaisen romanttisen yöasun. Yritin löytää siihen sopivaa kaavaa, mutta vedin vesiperän. Lopulta päätin suunnitella oman kaavan. Otin pohjaksi raglan-hihaisen mekon ja aloin neulata kangasta sovitusnuken päälle. Mielessäni hain vaikutteita yrjönaikaisista empirelinjaisista leningeistä.

Kankaaksi löysin Eurokankaan palalaarista kevyttä puuvillavoileeta, jossa oli hienovaraisia valkoisia pilkkuja. Koskapa kangas oli ohuenohutta tein miehustan kaksinkertaisesta kankaasta. Arvioin rypytyksiin tarvittavan määrän kangasta ja ompelin suuren raglantopin nelikulmaisella pääntiellä. Lisäsin kuminauhakujat pääntielle, hihansuihin ja empire-vyötärölle ja säädin koon sopivaksi kuminauhan avulla.

Helma on erillinen A-linjainen osa, joka on ommeltu kiinni miehustaan. Alareunan röyhelö on tehty yksinkertaisesti pitkästä poimutetusta suorakulmiosta. Yöpaita näyttää lattiamittaiselta kuvassa, mutta se johtuu vain siitä, että jalkani uppoavat sängyn pehmeään patjaan.

Yöpaidasta tuli aika lailla sitä, mitä halusin. Jos nyt jotain haluaisin parantaa, niin empirevyötärö tuli hieman liian korkealla ja käytössä sillä on ikävä tapa hilautua ylöspäin. Jos siis teen joskus tulevaisuudessa jotain samantapaista, lisään miehustaan hieman korkeutta.

Image: Empire-waisted cotton nightgown.

Thank you for visiting my blog and remember to subscribe if you haven’t already done so! Happy sewing!

Kiitos kun tulit käymään blogissani ja muistathan, että voit aina liittyä blogin tilaajaksi saadaksesi muistutuksen uusista postauksista! Hauskoja ompeluhetkiä!

 

Katja

Leave A Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: