I did not even dream of making this V8346 coat without a toile. I may take risks with cheaper garments but this wool was way too expensive for me to skip this crucial step.
My big project for this autumn will be a long and warm winter coat. For a project this size, it is a good idea to start with the planning.
My adventure in sewing trousers that fit continues. This time I narrow the pattern down even more and add a proper waistband and a pair of pockets. I gorgeous stretch jacquard for a fabric.
Now that I have the trouser sloper I will turn it into a narrow pair of stretch cotton trousers. I show how to modify the width and how to remove the extra fullness of fabric at the back of the thighs.
Sewing trousers isn't really hard, getting a trouser pattern that fits is more difficult. I will show you how to create a sloper just for you by replicating and old pair of trousers and adjusting the fit.
This black pair is the first actual pair of trousers that I am happy with. I started from an old pair of wide linen trousers that fitted me quite well and I traced the pattern from them. I made a toile and after some small adjustments I got a good fit. To get to know this pattern I decided to make a very simple pair with no waistband and a side zipper.
My next big project in the art of couture and tailoring will be a couture jacket. My inspiration is the Regent Landlord Blazer by Lena Hoschek and I chose to use Marfy pattern #1989 as a starting point for the look.
I have studied some tailor's pressing methods. To get the best results I made myself a dauber, a sleeve roll, a clapper and a point presser. Here is how...
Tiivistelmä suomeksi lopussa… Dress form is a fundamental tool for a dressmaker. Before I got my dress form about five years ago, I ruined numerous sewing project while trying to get them to fit me. I can honestly say that buying a dress form has saved me a lot of money! My dress form My dress form is Adjustoform size XS. After I got it I adjusted it and padded it and it has been working ever since. Unfortunately my body shape has changed in five years. I got frustrated pinning the skirt waists on the dressform to prevent the skirt waist from moving annoyingly when I was trying to…
… so here is the latter half of today’s posting, go here, if you missed the first part and here, if you want to start the series from the beginning. Hooray! My trench coat is finally finished! This has been a long journey that I started already in April, when I wrote about my coat plans. At that point I hadn’t found my pattern, yet and hadn’t met my wonderful, wonderful sewing teacher Michelle, who helped me tremendously along the way. Then I managed to find the McCall’s 5525 coat sewing pattern on Ebay and started drafting a coat. I used the pattern only as a starting point since I…